From The Populuxe Seed Bank
Year: 2011, 2019
Species: C. pepo
2019 The rains this year didn't keep this one down - the vines required a lot of cutting back so they didn't take over the whole garden. I got a really great harvest despite it all. There seems to be some built in powdery mildew resistance - these plants didn't start to succumb until very late in the season and after a good solid 4-6 weeks of almost solid rains. 2011 Extremely vigorous vining summer squash, best when eaten young as a summer squash (medium to dark green), but can be left to mature on the vine and cured to keep as a winter squash for several months (golden yellow). For eating like a zucchini, harvest is at about 45-50 days, for mature it's about 80 - 90 days. Excellent flavour, very firm. When cured as a winter squash it's reminiscent of spaghetti squash. Needs lots of room to grow, does well with trellising.
- Growth Type
- Squash Use
- Skin Colour
- Medium green with light green striping
- Flesh Colour
- Maturity (days)
- 55 days (for eating like zucchini - fruit should be roughly the size of a softball)
- 100-110 days (for eating like a winter squash, or saving seed)
- Also known as 'Tatume' and 'Calabacita'
- Heirloom popular in Mexico.