Slocan Snow Peas
Year: 2011, 2013, 2017, 2018, 2020
Seed Source: Seed bank stock. Original seed acquired at Seedy Saturday in Nelson, BC (2009).
2020 2011 Wonderful fresh snap pea, very well acclimatized to the hot weather of the Kootenays. Requires high, heavy trellising as the plants grow up to about 7ft. Had strange weather here this year, cool and wet for a lot of the spring and into summer. Because of this, after the first production of peas, the vines started putting out new growth and flowers after the original harvest. Seems this plant will give you a bumper crop if left, and if your season is long enough.
Vine Height: 5-7ft
Flower Colour: White
Leaf colour: Green with white splotches.
Average Pod Size: 5"
Average peas per pod: 5-7
Uses: Eaten fresh as a snap pea, or allowed to mature for dry use.
Maturity (for fresh use): 65 days
Maturity (for dried use): 85 days
- Susceptible to powdery mildew with constant wet weather
- Excellent in hot, humid climates. Will continue producing under these conditions.
- Family heirloom from the Kootenays of BC.
- Originally brought to the area in the 1940's by "Japanese Immigrants". Most likely, those immigrants were internment camp prisoners who were imprisoned in New Denver during WWII.
- Named after the Slocan Valley in the southern interior of BC.